The house has been an Inn continuously since its inception in the 1700’s but various tenants have made changes to suit there particular trades. At one point it contained the village grocery store and this tenant was the local carpenter and coffin maker. Two tenants continued there trade as blacksmiths while dispensing ale, the butchers son of a tenant converted the former grocery store into a butchers shop and the removable wooden floor in the N.E corner of the pub is the only relic of what was , until 1918 ,his “curing” room where sides of bacon matured. The public bar was also the Kitchen-come-dining room. Of its several tenants until 1954 where modifications to parts of the house included modification of the butchers preparation room into a kitchen and the removal of the cooking range etc. during this phase the englenook fireplace and the dutch oven, with its flint stone hearth were discovered in the public bar, all of which had been bricked up at some point by previous owners.
In 1993 the Pub was set on fire in the small hours and the entire thatched roof was lost. It was declared to be an act of arson but no one was charged. Fortunately the occupants were not injured but it took 9 months to be restored.
Today it is a free house and we welcome you to our 17 century Inn, The Wheatsheaf at Maids Morton.